SOP 004: Homeschooling, Is It Right For Your Family? (And, Some Tips To Get Started)
As school violence and bullying continues to rise, many parents are asking the questions; “Is homeschooling the right answer for our family?” In this episode we explore homeschooling and the hot issue of socialization with homeschool expert; Devin Dabney the host of the Connected Homeschooling Podcast.
In This Episode
- An interview with Homeschooling Dad and expert Devin Dabney.
- 10 Free Tickets to giveaway for The Parenting Expo in Cleveland April 26th and 27th 2014.
- A couple highlights from the Family Life University Community
- The proactive parenting tip is about NoSlang.com.
Our next speaking event is at the Parenting Expo in Cleveland Ohio at the I-X Center April 26th and 27th.
- We have been giving 10 tickets to give away, and here’s all you need to do to win:
- Visit: www.FamilyLifeUniversity.org/facebook (our Facebook page)
- Click on the Cover Photo. (or CLICK HERE to go right to that photo)
- Comment on the that photo about a moment where you felt like a Parenting Rockstar or your spouse was a Parenting Rockstar.
- We will randomly select the winners on March 3rd and contact you via Facebook (this is easiest if you Like the page)
We mentioned we met Dr G of AskDoctorG.com We have enjoyed and learned lots of great ideas from her YouTube Videos.
Proactive Parenting Tip
- www.NoSlang.com – A great website to learn what your kids are saying in internet and instant message slang.
Our interview today is with Devin Dabney. We made sure to talk about the number one thing our listeners asked us to bring up…socialization. Plus, we cover a great deal more.
Dad’s need to be involved. At minimum as the principle. At best as a teacher and principle. Homeschooling happens everywhere, learn to look for teachable moments. Yes, I know…it would be faster to fix this or that thing, to run to the store or complete any number of tasks without taking the time to teach your kids. But, what’s most important to you? Teaching and raising great kids, or marking things off a list?
Homeschooling families can be intentional and actually create socialization opportunities that really meet their kid’s needs. Socialization really shouldn’t be the concern it is, in fact; numerous studies show that homeschooled kids do better then their peers in social skills Don’t take our word for it. Check out this article in the Washington Times..
- A back and forth about socialization and homeschoolers. What do you think?
Care To Share?
Comment below. If you are reading this in an email or RSS reader; click here to comment)
Question: What questions do you have regarding homeschooling?
Our Guest Is
Devin is a husband and dad of 6. He and his wife homeschool and Devin is the host of the Connected Homeschooling Podcast. He has also been a speaker at the iHomeschool conference. You can connect with Devin at:
Here’s an extended interview with Devin Dabney.
Resources we put together:
- Homeschool Buyers Co-Op: Helps you save money on homeschool curriculum. Membership is free! http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org
- Home-School.com is a large website with a variety of resources. You can look at current events in homeschooling, curriculum, and even find local homeschooling groups in your area. It also produces “Practical Homeschooling” Magazine. http://www.home-school.com
- Hearts At Home has Christian curriculums for sale at lower prices than many larger stores. https://heartsathomestore.com
- Check Out Science Sparks for fun science experiments. They have great illustrations, instructions, and explain the science behind the fun! They have stuff for almost any age. http://www.science-sparks.com
- We LOVE websites that try to inspire you, and here’s another: Homeschooling-Ideas. Lots of stuff to help you make your style of type of homeschooling the best it can be! http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com
- Devin mentioned http://www.italki.com as a resource to get foreign language exposure and tutoring. As always, if you have any questions; let us know.