SOP 002: 7 Rings of Marriage (Say What? What’s This Got To Do With Parenting?)
It might seem strange at first to have a marriage episode in a parenting podcast, especially for the second episode. But having a marriage centered home is the best environment you can give to kids. We are joined by Jackie and Stephana Bledsoe who talk with us about their 7 Rings of Marriage.
Having a road map for your marriage makes knowing where you are and where to make corrections so much easier. The 7 Rings of Marriage will help any couple increase their chance for a happy and successful marriage.
Why Your Spouse Should Come Before Your Kids
We almost always get some pushback when we talk about this….at first. It just sounds weird or even heartless to say that our spouse should come before our kids. But, when the kids are treated as if they are more important than your spouse, both start to believe it. Do kids have seasons when they require more amounts of focus and energy than your spouse? Yes of course. However, these seasons of time are very short and very infrequent.
When you put your spouse first:
- You’ll significantly increase the chance your marriage will be healthy and enjoyable when the kids are old enough to move out.
- Your kids learn how to treat and be treat by their future spouse.
- Kids learn they aren’t the center of the universe, and develop stronger coping skills for challenges in their adult life.
- When you and your spouse have less stress in the marriage, you’ll have less stress in your parenting.
- Often, when a spouse isn’t getting the emotional support they need as an adult human being from their spouse, they expect their kids to fulfill this need.
Jackie and Stephana Bledsoe can be contacted at:
7 Rings of Marriage
Click here for the post on Jackie’s blog about the 7 Rings of Marriage
- Engagement RING
- Wedding RING
Question: What was your big takeaway? Have a specific question for Jackie or Stephana about the 7 Rings of Marriage?
Here’s the extended interview with Jackie and Stephana:
Here are the resources they mentioned:
- Five Love Languages
- Love and War
- Power of the Praying Husband
- Power of the Praying Wife
- The Art of Marriage
- The Art of Marriage Small Group Leaders Kit
- The Love Dare Day by Day